Information on eye health and eye care services
The Vision Initiative has developed a range of information sheets (PDF, Word, Audio), brochures (print only) and multimedia clips (MP4) all of which are available on this website. These include:
- ‘Save your sight– get tested’ multimedia clip: explains what an eye test is
- information on age-related macular degeneration
- information on cataracts - information on diabetic retinopathy
- information on glaucoma
- information on refractive error
- information on smoking and eye health - information on family history and eye health
- information on eye care services and who can help in eye health
- information on supports services for people who are blind or have low vision
All the above information is also available in Arabic, Cantonese, Greek, Italian, Mandarin and Vietnamese.
In addition, the Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO) has developed a range of resources for Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people which can be accessed on this website.
Events and community talks
In project areas, the Vision Initiative works with local Councils and community organisations to take part in local community events and festivals as well as organise community presentations on eye health and vision care to local community groups.
The Vision Initiative also distributes resources to local organisations and community upon requests and organises for posters to be displayed in the across each project areas.
World Sight Day Each year, the Vision Initiative gets involved with Vision 2020 Australia’s #snapforsight campaign encouraging Victorians to capture and share their moments via social media to raise awareness about the importance of eye health and regular eye tests
For more information see: www.snapforsight.com
Note: If you are an organisation or community group working in the Vision Initiative projects areas, contact us to find out more about the above activity or organise a talk for your members.
Vision Initiative past project areas: Darebin, Greater Geelong, Greater Shepparton and Latrobe. Vision
Initiative current project areas: Brimbank, Campaspe, Greater Dandenong and Swan Hill.