Many eye conditions have no symptoms until it is too late. The good news is in Australia 90 per cent of vision loss is preventable or treatable.
Regular eye tests by an eye health professional are essential to detect and treat eye conditions early. In addition, if you notice any changes in your vision, do not wait, book an eye test immediately.
You can also take care of your eyes every day to help reduce your risk of eye disease:
- Wear a hat and sunglasses when outside.
- Wear eye protection when playing sports such as squash or working in a dangerous environment.
- Maintain a healthy diet and exercise.
- Keep good control of your diabetes (blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels).
- Do not smoke or just quit.
- Follow advice if you are under the care of an eye health professional.
For more information on how to look after your eyes speak to your GP, an optometrist or your ophthalmologist.
Save Your Sight – Get Tested